Sunday, July 14, 2013

Maquette Sculpting

Today I decided I wanted to try my hand at sculpting. REAL sculpting. 
None of that Sculptris nonsense. (I also do that) Sculpting digitally is fun,
but I like having something tactile and getting my hands a bit dirty.

To start, I amassed some supplies.
Including the most important supply for any of my creative endeavors: snacks!
 
I used that sheet of tinfoil as armature wire because I'm too unemployed to have real wire.

After about an hour this is where I was.


Then I upgraded my setup, using an old drum practice pad as a rotating stand
so I didn't have to keep picking up the sculpture and jacking up the armature.

I added clay in small increments, and used my knowledge of anatomy 
to build up the musculature and such.



  I used bulldog and gorilla anatomy as reference.


 Then I improved my setup even more!! I used some books to elevate my workstation 
to keep myself from hunching over too much.

A face began to take shape.
 I made a support out of a D20 and some random foreign currency from my desk.



And this is where it stands after about 3 hours of work.

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME! I think you'd really enjoy James Gurney's book "Imaginative Realism" if you don't already have it. It discusses using maquettes as a tool for studying unrealistic figures in a realistic space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really cool project! What kind of clay are you using? I would also like to give sculpting a go, but all I have is old left over water-based high-fire clay from a ceramics class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its sculpy. I got it with a gift card, but it's like 12 dollars for 1.75 pounds. This project has used a bit less than a third of that so far.

    ReplyDelete